Author Topic: Writing on writing  (Read 5746 times)

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
on: April 16, 2007, 07:52:10 AM
I stumbled across the "Science Fiction Writing Series" on Amazon.  Here is one.
They have good reviews, and the authors seem to be authors.  Has anyone read them? 

Any other good books on writing, SF or not? 

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 05:16:57 PM
"Beginnings and Ends" - Nancy Kress

"Writing Fiction Step by Step" - Josip Novakovich

"How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy" - Orson Scott Card (as long as you can ignore some amount of "MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY AND IF YOU DO IT SOME OTHER WAY YOU'RE WRONG!" lecturing)

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 03:22:54 AM
"How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy" - Orson Scott Card (as long as you can ignore some amount of "MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY AND IF YOU DO IT SOME OTHER WAY YOU'RE WRONG!" lecturing)
That's pretty much how I handle Card's stuff, anway. ;)

Thanks for the recommendations!

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:03:29 PM
For a long while I was a writing book junkie, and went through way too many of them as my procrastinatory exercise.  (I've since found that editing works even better.)  >8->  Even so, I did occasionally manage to get some writing done between bouts of reading about it, and then one day I just happened to browse the bookstore shelves and realized, "You know, there's really almost nothing in any of these books that I have to know that I don't already." 

That said, here are the ones I consider truly very practical and helpful (and this is from someone who really can't stand Bird by Bird and similar fuzzy motivational things):

• Every writer in the English language should read The Elements of Style.  And reread it periodically.
  • James Frey's How to Write a Damn Good Novel has excellent advice about structure and what hooks readers.  There's a sequel, too, but I didn't find it as good.  (Yes, this is the same Frey that got in trouble for his fake memoir.  The writing book came years before that.)
  • For career advice, Donald Maass's The Career Novelist.  It won't tell you a damn thing about how to write, but it has some excellent perspective on what to do as a writer.

I'd also second Palimpsest's recommendations on Kress's and Card's books.  The Card one is only sporadically crunchy, but he does have some cool advice about how to cultivate a first reader.

Mostly, though, you must write a lot, read a lot, and pay close attention to both.  That's the only way to really Get It.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 09:55:34 PM
"this is from someone who really can't stand Bird by Bird and similar fuzzy motivational things):"

Worst fuzzy book ever? Poem Crazy by someone whose name I've blocked out.

I hate metaphysical approaches to writing. Sit and let the inspiration in? Bah. Give me craft, I'll take care of the wibblyness. ;)

Bird by Bird annoyed me on that front. But I've found 2 or 3 of her analogies have stuck with me like nothin' else. "Point with the sword of truth, don't cut with it." "Revising a story is like putting an octopus to bed. You get a few of the arms tucked under, and the rest pull free and wave around in the air."

Simon Painter

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 12:36:14 AM
A friend of mine got in touch with Mary Gentle some time ago, and she recommended this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Write-Novel-John-Braine/dp/0413315401/ref=sr_1_3/026-9446489-1860457?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177115602&sr=8-3

I've actually since picked it up myself, and it is pretty damned good  :)  It's pretty usefull, it has whole chapters on things like Dialogue and Chapter Openers.

Simon Painter
Shropshire, UK

"Save the Squonk!"

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 07:41:21 PM
Telling Writing by Ken Macrorie.  TNH recommended, Scott approved.

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 04:16:22 PM
"Making a Literary Life", by Carolyn See.  Not only is she a sweet heart, she's honest about the licks she's taken to get where she is, and the information about marketing yourself and your reputation are solid gold.

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

shanerm09

• Extern
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 04:02:48 AM
I am really fond of reading fiction. And by reading that book entitled "Time Travel", I have observed that the book lies well within the laws of physics. It is very good in giving the right impact to the readers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:42:19 AM by shanerm09 »

AliceNred

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 03:30:34 AM
"Beginnings and Ends" - Nancy Kress

"Writing Fiction Step by Step" - Josip Novakovich

I know what I am putting on my Christmas list.

Stop throwing gnomes at me. They hurt.