Author Topic: Top 5 most awesome weapons  (Read 39753 times)

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 03:09:02 AM
The top five awesome individual fictional weapons of all time, in order, according to me.

5. Darth Maul's double-sided lightsaber
4. The Deplorable Word (Chronicles of Narnia)
3. Ash's chainsaw hand
2. Thor's hammer

...drum roll please...

The number one awesome individual fictional weapon of all time: Excallibur!

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 12:27:37 PM
    • #2:  Post-Dated Check Loan (Schlock Mercenary).  Gigantic interstellar gun platform controlled by an AI of deeply dubious sanity and crewed by creatures who are unquestionably fuggin' lunatics -- smart, creative lunatics who know how to get the most bang for the buck out of "Petey's" nano-assembler facilities.  (Their torpedoes have on-board teleportation hardware that allows them to bypass the other ship's pesky armor very efficiently.  Oh, and they'll also deploy the torpedoes en masse as a rudimentary but very effective sensor grid -- they call it the "Very Dangerous Array.")  If it absolutely positively has to be blowed-up real good real fast, call in Tagon's Toughs; just don't screw with them when the bill comes due.

This will henceforth be known as the greatest named doomsday ship of ALL TIME!!!

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
    • I am a sloth.
      • Free Mode
    Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 01:56:57 PM
    The top five awesome individual fictional weapons of all time, in order, according to me.

5. Darth Maul's double-sided lightsaber
    4. The Deplorable Word (Chronicles of Narnia)
    3. Ash's chainsaw hand
    2. Thor's hammer

...drum roll please...

The number one awesome individual fictional weapon of all time: Excallibur!

The deplorable word!  Hard-core!  I hadn't thought of that.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
    • Hipparch
    • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
      • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
    Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 06:12:18 PM
    What was the deplorable word?  What book was it in?  I can't remember!

BlairHippo

• Peltast
      • The Blair Hippo Project
    Reply #29 on: July 05, 2007, 06:41:23 PM
    • #2:  Post-Dated Check Loan (Schlock Mercenary).

This will henceforth be known as the greatest named doomsday ship of ALL TIME!!!

Tagon's Toughs always have good names for their various rides.  (They seem to go through a fair number of starships, for some reason.)

• Kitesfear
    • Post-Dated Check Loan
    • Serial Peacemaker
    • Touch and Go

Holden

• Peltast
    • EXTERMINATE!
    Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 07:14:45 PM

It's in The Magician's Nephew. The Deplorable Word is a word so horrible that when spoken, it ends all life in the world except that of the one who speaks it. The evil queen Jadis (who will one day become the White Witch of Narnia) paid a 'terrible price' to learn the secret, and in the face of an uprising usurping her throne to her sister, she used the word, destroying all life in the world besides her.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
    • I am a sloth.
      • Free Mode
    Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 07:17:30 PM

Holden just beat me to it, but I already wrote this, so here it anyway:

The Deplorable Word was in The Magician's Nephew (my personal favorite of the Chronicles).  If you speak it, every living thing in the universe dies--expect for you.  Empress Jadis speaks it to avoid loosing a war with her sister, completely sterilizing her world.  She then puts herself in an enchanted sleep for hundreds of thousands of years, waiting for someone from a parallel universe to come along and find her.  Two kids from from Earth stumble across her and, after comic absurdity in London, accidentally bring her to Narnia, where she becomes known as the White Witch.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
    • Hipparch
    Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 08:04:49 PM
    Wow, I guess I need to reread those books.  I've read "the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" probably 5 times but the others only once or twice.  So thanks, you guys. 

eytanz

Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 08:18:49 PM

Holden just beat me to it, but I already wrote this, so here it anyway:

The Deplorable Word was in The Magician's Nephew (my personal favorite of the Chronicles).  If you speak it, every living thing in the universe dies--expect for you.  Empress Jadis speaks it to avoid loosing a war with her sister, completely sterilizing her world.  She then puts herself in an enchanted sleep for hundreds of thousands of years, waiting for someone from a parallel universe to come along and find her.  Two kids from from Earth stumble across her and, after comic absurdity in London, accidentally bring her to Narnia, where she becomes known as the White Witch.

Where she fails to use the deplorable word again, even when she's losing the war with Aslan and the kids - which makes me think it was only ever good for her original universe.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
    • I am a sloth.
      • Free Mode
    Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 08:40:46 PM
    Right.  In the Narnia books, magic is relative to the various worlds.  The magic of one does not work in another.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
    • Supreme Overlord of Earth
    Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 11:26:52 PM
    Top 5 Weapons

5)  MP7- Because it looks awesome!

4)  Cylon Centurrion (the new ones)-  Who doesn't want one?!!

3)  Katana-  Always awesome in any situation!

2)  Mark IX Nuclear Weapon-  It can turn a planet into a friggin' volcano!

1)  Starbuck (again, the new one)-  Just look what she did to Lee!

Planish

• Hipparch
    • Fun will now commence.
      • northernelectric.ca
    Reply #36 on: July 07, 2007, 02:35:39 AM
    Low-tech, real:
    (in no particular order)

1. Hinged Counterweight Trebuchet: The atomic bomb of the middle ages. Unique among siege weapons in that it is easy to scale upward for truly massive payloads. Best depiction of operation seen in "The Messenger" (with Milla Jovovich as Jeanne d'Arc). May be used to deliver mass projectiles, incendiaries, biological weapons (infected bodies of animals), psychological weapons (severed heads or whole bodies of people), or Mini-Coopers.

2. Staff-sling (aka "pole-sling", "fustibalus"): like a run-of-the-mill sling (not a rubber-band catapult) but on the end of a two-meter stick. Stuff really flies. Essentially a small hand-operated trebuchet.

3. Halberd: Three weapons in one - spear, axe, and hooking spike. What's not to like? Stop a cavalry charge when used as improvised paling, hook mounted knight off his horse, and finish him on the ground.

4. English/Welsh Longbow: Particularly when used in large numbers to fire volleys of bodkin arrows. See Battle of Agincourt, Battle of Crécy, Battle of Poitiers.

5. Danish Axe: They look really cool.

6. Cutlass: Arrrrrgh! My weapon of choice for zombie invasions in a variety of scenarios.

FWIW I've built and/or used #1, 2, 4 and 5.
    For regular sword-play I stick to epees and rapiers, particularly rapier and buckler, or rapier with dagger in off-hand.
    No katanas - highly over-rated, especially when compared to equivalent European swords built with similar skills and quality of materials. Fine for cosplay I suppose.

I feed The Pod.
    ("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

BlairHippo

• Peltast
      • The Blair Hippo Project
    Reply #37 on: July 07, 2007, 04:08:01 AM
    1. Hinged Counterweight Trebuchet: The atomic bomb of the middle ages. Unique among siege weapons in that it is easy to scale upward for truly massive payloads. Best depiction of operation seen in "The Messenger" (with Milla Jovovich as Jeanne d'Arc).

In the brief space between "Messenger" and "Jeanne d'Arc", a movie appeared in my head.  A movie about the medieval equivalent of a bicycle messenger service.  Only, no bicycles; trebuchets.

What my movie lacks in historical accuracy would have been made up for in pure awesome.

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
      • My website: awesomeology.org
    Reply #38 on: July 07, 2007, 06:32:27 PM
    1. Hinged Counterweight Trebuchet: The atomic bomb of the middle ages. Unique among siege weapons in that it is easy to scale upward for truly massive payloads. Best depiction of operation seen in "The Messenger" (with Milla Jovovich as Jeanne d'Arc).

In the brief space between "Messenger" and "Jeanne d'Arc", a movie appeared in my head.  A movie about the medieval equivalent of a bicycle messenger service.  Only, no bicycles; trebuchets.

What my movie lacks in historical accuracy would have been made up for in pure awesome.

BlairHippo... I want you to be my very good friend.

There is something so beautifully asinine about that idea. I think... I... love you.

Please go to my blog and read the absurd "Fun @ Work" posts. We could SO use that kind of thinking to further degrade civilization. http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=36024803

Planish

• Hipparch
    • Fun will now commence.
      • northernelectric.ca
    Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 04:20:21 AM
    Some ... interesting... weapons.

- The Paris Gun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Gun - "It was capable of hurling a 94 kilogram (210 lb) shell to a range of 130 kilometres".

- two railway guns, "Schwerer Gustav" and "Dora" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav - "could fire a shell that weighed more than 7 tons at distances up to 37 km". Dora was featured in one of Harry Turtledove's Worldwar novels.

- Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte: Huge tank. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte , and site with photos of scale model: http://www.panzerbaer.de/workshop/wdieb_mod_87-a.htm . It never even got to the prototype stage. Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1500_Monster , and

- Gyrojet rocket pistol (and rifles) fires bullet-sized spin-stabilized rockets. "Due to the properties of the rocket, with continued acceleration after it left the barrel, the Gyrojet had poor short-range power, but improved dramatically with distance. After about 75 yards (70 m) the motor would burn out, at which point the rocket had about 50% more power than the common .45 ACP round." OTOH, "A round can actually be stopped if a finger or even piece of cardboard is held directly at the end of the barrel. This flaw is fatal, however, for a firearm intended to be used at relatively close range. "

- V-3 cannon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-3_cannon - "The complex contained five hidden shafts, each containing five guns with a barrel length of about 120 m. These were the largest Axis artillery pieces, surpassing the Schwerer Gustav or Dora railway-propelled 800 mm super-cannon, the Mörser Karl (Gerät 040) 600 mm tracked siege mortar, and the Leopold and Robert 320 mm railway cannons. The calibre was 150 mm and the shell weight was 140 kg.
    The technological innovation employed by these huge guns was the use of multiple propelling charges, placed along the barrels' length and timed to explode as soon as the projectile passed them by, to provide an additional boost. Due to their higher suitability and ease of use, rocket boosters were used instead of explosive charges, arranged in symmetrical pairs, attached to the barrel with a low (below 30º) angle. This layout spawned the German codenames Hochdruckpumpe ("high-pressure-pump") and Tausendfüßler ("millipede"). Unlike conventional rifled weapons of the day, the smooth-bore gun ejected a fin-stablized shell, dependent upon aerodynamic (rather than gyroscopic) forces to prevent tumbling and consequent high drag.
    These guns had a muzzle velocity of 1500 m/s and the rate of fire for the entire complex of 25 guns was projected to be 300 shells per hour, with a projected maximum range of 165 km.
    It was of course very hard to aim even a single gun, but that was not much of a problem since the complex had been built and oriented with the sole purpose of attacking London from a safe distance. This leads to its alternate name, the London Gun."

I feed The Pod.
    ("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Leon Kensington

• Matross
    Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 04:27:44 AM
    The gyrojet reminds me of the mini-rockets that launchers are on the bottoms of the pistols in BSG.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
    • I am a sloth.
      • Free Mode
    Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 07:05:41 PM
    Discussion on other threads has caused me to recall one of the most jaw-droppingly cool weapons ever: The "possible sword" from "The Scar."

The sword is hooked by wires to a sort of generator worn on the belt.  When the generator is off, it's just a sword.  When the generator is on, a strange application of quantum theory comes into play: The sword's strikes land not only in the single place where it "really" hits, but also in all of the places where it could have hit.  You wield the sword in a semi-controlled manner, so that it could land in many different places, and it lands in all of those places, hitting an enemy in a hundred different spots with a single stroke.

This makes the sword virtually impossible to block, allowing its wielder to take on an unlimited number of enemies and win.
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 02:35:16 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

Leon Kensington

• Matross
    Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 02:33:55 AM
    Good anti-zombie weapon.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
    • Hipparch
    Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 04:14:11 PM
    Discussion on other threads has caused me to recall one of the most jaw-droppingly cool weapons ever: The "possible sword" from "The Scar."

I'm not sure how I forgot about that one.  It could possibly be the coolest weapon ever.  The little snippet of legend about how Uther Doul descended into hell to find it and fought his way back up using it was awesome.
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:15:43 PM by DKT »

Chodon

• Lochage
    • Molon Labe
    Reply #44 on: August 19, 2007, 04:03:51 AM
    M4 carbine...many reasons.

My personal favorite vehicle based weapon system is the airborne laser. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_laser
    I posted it before in the Reggie vs. Kaiju Storm Chimera Wold thread, but I think it deserves a repeat appearance.  Word is the targeting system can pick an individual out of a crowd and POOF.  Gone in a stinky cloud like in the new War of the Worlds.  It can't get much better than that.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Listener

• Hipparch
    • I place things in locations which later elude me.
      • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
    Reply #45 on: August 20, 2007, 04:58:14 PM
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the cup Riddick used in Pitch Black 2.  And then didn't he take out a little key or something, like a luggage key, and threaten to kill the other dude with it?

Not necessarily an awesome weapon, but an awesome wielding of it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
    • Mmm. Tiger.
    Reply #46 on: August 21, 2007, 03:29:13 AM
    hahaha, yes, death by teacup. that was awesome.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
    Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Leon Kensington

• Matross
    Reply #47 on: August 21, 2007, 11:47:01 PM
    I would venture to say Death by Teacup is one of the most inventive deaths ever.

Holden

• Peltast
    • EXTERMINATE!
    Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 12:39:23 PM
    Inventive ways of killing people...that sounds like a fun thread! In the comic 'Johnny the Homicidal Maniac' Johnny once kills 30+ people in a Taco Bell using a spork.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
    • Mmm. Tiger.
    Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 01:41:18 PM
    Inventive ways of killing people...that sounds like a fun thread! In the comic 'Johnny the Homicidal Maniac' Johnny once kills 30+ people in a Taco Bell using a spork.
    i love that comic.  that scene was "wacky"!

anyways...
    http://www.trueswords.com/deluxe-reverse-blade-sword-rurouni-kenshin-sakabato-p-3098.html
    i almost had an orgasm.

look at the rest of this site, especially The anime and video games section and the movie/tv section
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:51:21 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
    Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?