Author Topic: CoW Ep. 253: Single Parent (& ep. 283 Staff Pick)  (Read 3033 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: June 18, 2017, 06:43:14 PM
Episode 253: Single Parent by Sarah Gailey

Episode 283: Single Parent by Sarah Gailey - Staff Pick 2017

Content Warning: A few early F-bombs
• Narrated by Rish Outfield
• Audio production and gust host Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!
Read along with the text of the story.
Click here to listen to Episode 253http://archive.org/download/Wonders253/Wonders253.mp3

Hugo and Campbell award finalist Sarah Gailey is an internationally-published writer of fiction and nonfiction. Her nonfiction has been published by Mashable and the Boston Globe, and she is a regular contributor for Tor.com and Barnes & Noble. Her most recent fiction credits include Mothership Zeta, Fireside Fiction, and the Speculative Bookshop Anthology. Her debut novella, River of Teeth, is out now. She has a novel forthcoming from Tor Books in spring 2019. Gailey lives in beautiful Oakland, California with her husband and two scrappy dogs. You can find links to her work at her website, or follow her on Twitter.

Rish Outfield can be found regularly at The Dunesteef podcast, which he produces with Big Anklevich, and you can hear him pretty much everywhere in the genre story pod-o-sphere. You can find him online.

Jeremy Carter has produced audio for the Dunesteef Audio Fiction magazine, Far Fetched Fables, the Journey Into podcast and StarshipSofa in addition to Cast of Wonders. By day, he teaches physics and maths in the beautiful Peak District. He is a husband, father, photographer, cook and very occasional runner. Follow him on Twitter.

The monster in my son’s closet is so f*$%ing scary.
Here’s what happened: Jack screamed in the middle of the night and I came running because I’m his dad and that’s what dads are for. He’s been doing that for a month -- screaming like someone’s in his room murdering him with a screwdriver. And even though there’s never, not even once been anyone murdering him, I couldn’t just let him scream his little head off all night. If I didn’t come running, his mom would have risen from the grave just to come and slap me upside the head

Tags: cancer, Cast of Wonders, fathers, grandmothers, grief, Jeremy Carter, loss, Monsters, mothers, nightmares, protection, Rish Outfield, Sarah Gailey, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:36:07 PM by danooli »

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:45:56 PM
I <3 Sarah Gailey. Also this story. So many hearts.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

astrokath

• -between the singing stars-
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 07:19:41 PM
It's just beautiful, isn't it? Made me cry  :'(

Not the droid you're looking for.

deank

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 07:57:47 AM
I loved this story so much that I immediately retold it to my partner over dinner. So touching!