Author Topic: Time warp?  (Read 16019 times)

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
on: November 06, 2007, 10:04:54 PM
The boards just jumped back a week and a half. What gives? The latest posts available at this moment (11/6/07 at 5:06PM EST) were made 10/27.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

darusha

• M. Darusha Wehm
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM
But it's only happening for the people on my street.  Too bad I can't make any money in the stock market because of this. 

;)

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 10:35:56 PM
But it's only happening for the people on my street.  Too bad I can't make any money in the stock market because of this. 

;)
Crap...Google Finance is still printing out current data.  There goes that scheme...

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:20:38 PM
It's just a hop to the left, and a step to the riIIIiiight.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:47:06 AM
Yes, my sincere apologies.  The VPS provider for the Web server was doing a move and decided to change IP addresses on me.  I wasn't on-the-ball enough -- that's why things went dark for a little while today -- and once things were running again I saw that the backup they'd restored from was several days old.  This affects the Escape Pod blog site as well.

I'm trying to get access to the old machine again so I can get a more current backup and move the posts back.  I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do this.  In the meantime, I'm very sorry about the lost content.  I'll do my best to get it back.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 09:22:46 PM
Merging the old and new versions of the discussion boards sounds like no fun.  Good luck!

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:43:48 PM
Can we please get an update? Seems like the forums have been dead since it happened.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:35:41 PM
Just a heads-up for the other noobs out there-
If you've only registered in the last few weeks, say since the 27th of October, you'll need to re-register, your ID is gone.
No hard feelings, Steve.  Stuff happens like that.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 02:54:35 AM
Okay... so this just showed up as new... or I just noticed it.  Is it the restoration, or am I just slow?

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:32:19 PM
Is it just me, or do the forums seem to stutter for a while every Thursday?  Not so much Pseudopod site, but the EP site and the Forums.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 06:35:53 PM
I noticed it too around midnight, still wasn't working when I went to sleep around 2.

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 07:19:36 PM
I noticed it too around midnight, still wasn't working when I went to sleep around 2.

It was close to 9 or 10 your time before it came back on.  This time was different than normal.  Normally it says something about not reaching the database, but this time there was no connection at all.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 02:49:54 AM

It was close to 9 or 10 your time before it came back on.  This time was different than normal.  Normally it says something about not reaching the database, but this time there was no connection at all.
Yeah. This new server blows.
At least I'm blaming the new server because it keeps saying that the server is a problem.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 06:14:02 AM
Like clockwork...

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 06:54:19 AM
Can we even get an acknowledgment of the problem or have we slipped into the Micro-hell of customer service? No offense to Russell or the other active mods, but it kind of feels like the creator has decided to let this clockwork universe go off on it's own, which would be fine if it wasn't randomly spewing cogs and springs.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:07:39 PM
Maybe they got one of those snooty French servers... you know, for ambience?  Because with everything else about Escape Pod being so awesome, they needed that "dash of cold, hard reality"?

Or maybe it's running Vista?  :P

Russell Nash

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 02:14:09 PM
Can we even get an acknowledgment of the problem or have we slipped into the Micro-hell of customer service? No offense to Russell or the other active mods, but it kind of feels like the creator has decided to let this clockwork universe go off on it's own, which would be fine if it wasn't randomly spewing cogs and springs.

The mods have been on here bitching about the problem too.  We moderate content.  The hardware is handled by upper management.  If you don't feel that your complaints here are being dealt with, bump it up a notch.  Steve's email is available in several places including the contact us page of Escapepod.org.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 04:15:27 PM
Looks like it's a Thursday/update thing.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 10:02:59 PM
Maybe they got one of those snooty French servers... you know, for ambience?  Because with everything else about Escape Pod being so awesome, they needed that "dash of cold, hard reality"?

Or maybe it's running Vista?  :P
*tries to look for something that merits religious punishment* damnit...

STEVE! TALK TO US! TELL US YOU CARE!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 05:59:52 AM
The mods have been on here bitching about the problem too.  We moderate content.  The hardware is handled by upper management.  If you don't feel that your complaints here are being dealt with, bump it up a notch.  Steve's email is available in several places including the contact us page of Escapepod.org.

Which I get, and I will send him an email with this thread. It's just that his profile tells us that he still at least looks at the forums every day or two, so one assumes he still reads it, and would at least look at an active thread about the forum. Unless he's just hitting the forum to get user comments. If it's a bandwidth cost issue or a need of a new server issue he could ask for a whip-round or at least explain what's happening.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:01:41 AM by Heradel »

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 06:56:37 PM
I can't see any of the avatars.  Is is just me?  Glad to hear the server will be stable.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Russell Nash

Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 07:28:39 PM
I can't see any of the avatars.  Is is just me?  Glad to hear the server will be stable.

Happened to me before.  Reset your cache and it should all be shiny.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 10:20:15 PM
Woo- fixes. Thank you.

I'm also having some trouble with avatars, they don't seem to be coming back post emptying the cache. It might be a Safari specific problem, I'll try to make sure it's nothing on my end.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 10:52:42 PM
Happening here, too... Firefox

I can see a few avatars, but not my own, and not most.  Thaurismunths is there... no Russell, no Heradel... Hmmm...  David Icke conspiracy to blame for this one?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 12:03:49 AM
I tried to upload my avatar again, but this popped up:
Quote from:  error message
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Looks like chmod a+rw avatar may be needed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:06:20 AM by Heradel »