Author Topic: How You Know When You're Done  (Read 5740 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: June 20, 2008, 05:19:29 PM
Maybe one of the hardest things as a writer is knowing when your story is finished. When you hit the save button for the last time, close the file, dust off your hands, and say that's it. 

Listening to the last ISBW, Tim Pratt talked about how he knew people who would continue working for years on a story, always revising.  Perhaps it got incrementally better on some level, he said, but you can always tweak things.  I also remember reading a piece about a screenwriter who spent years getting the first page right.  He was so proud, years later, feeling he'd nailed it.  Now, he only had 119 to go. 

Then there's the flipside.  I've got a friend who writes an insane amount of stories but is horrible as rewriting and usually, I think, doesn't.  He finishes a story, polishes it some, and sends it out.  This is an extreme example, of course, but I think it's typical to have a lingering fear of, "Did I send it out too soon?  Was there something else I could've done to make it better.  What if..."  Which can take you right back to the problem at the beginning of this post.

How do you know when you've finished a story?  How do you balance the two problems above?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 04:52:40 PM by Bdoomed »

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:57:54 PM
I've heard it said "a work of art is never finished, only abandoned."

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 02:35:47 PM
It's done when you no longer can stand the sight of it.  When you have passed through the phase where you have dreams about it, when you have passed through the phase where you have nightmares about it, and you just have no more energy to spare.  When you have wrung yourself so dry your skin cracks...

Then it's done.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 03:35:22 PM
It's done when you no longer can stand the sight of it.  When you have passed through the phase where you have dreams about it, when you have passed through the phase where you have nightmares about it, and you just have no more energy to spare.  When you have wrung yourself so dry your skin cracks...

Then it's done.

I skip all the angsty stuff. I know it's done when the check clears.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 07:34:22 PM
Can't top that.

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:29:44 PM
When the thought of revising it one more time makes you want to cry.  Plus, it has no actual mistakes that you are aware of--no moments where, when you read it, you go, "Oh, that's not perfect, but it'll do."

There are always tweaks you can make, but if it's as good as you can make it at the point where you can't stand to go over it anymore, it's definitely done.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 10:53:20 PM
I put it in front of people not in my head.  And when they ask me where the 25% that contains the plot is, I go back and rewrite it.

I only wish I was joking.  Did I mention I don't sell many stories?

Revision is the Vizier though, if not the King.  The trick is to walk away and I try to do that after the third go-round.  Case in point, I'm doing a thing for Hub at the moment that's revolved fairly constant re-writing simply because it's a serial and it's evolved as it's been written.  I've done two edit passes and after the third fix, it's off into the world, for my sins.

I guess what I'm saying is this; fix what's broken, not what needs extra bits adding to it.  Hope that helps.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:35:32 AM
I guess if I'm looking for done-ness, I do it this way:

1. Write story.
2. Revise story.
3. Put story in front of other people and see what they say.
4. Revise story.
5. Submit story.
5a. If rejected, go to 6.
5b. Rejoice!
6. Revise story (based upon suggestions from rejection letter, if any)
7. Put story in front of other people (possibly the same as in step 3, but at least one new) and see what they say.
8. Possibly revise once more.
9. Submit story.
9a. If rejected, go to 10.
9b. Rejoice.
10. Return to 9.

So, in other words, after the first rejection, I do one more set of revisions, but usually by the time I get to step 10, I'm either tired of the story or can't think of any ways to improve it.  I've reached that point with "113 Feet" and "The Very Next Day", although the former is (in my opinion) a better story for various reasons including subject matter.  But as I read TVND I really can't think of any ways to improve it, so I'll just keep submitting until someone buys it or I get bored. *grin*

Anyway, I'm with hautdesert -- when it has no actual mistakes that you're aware of, that's when it's done.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

SteveCooperOrg

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:02:23 PM
I put it in front of people not in my head.  And when they ask me where the 25% that contains the plot is, I go back and rewrite it.

It's a big problem. When you're too close, you forget that you maybe haven't put in enough for the reader. That was the biggest criticism of my story on Pseudopod.

With flash, it just gets done in an evening or two, and it's small enough that you can keep the whole thing in your head. With longer pieces, I dunno. Just give up when a particular revision doesn't push the quality up appreciably.

errant371

• Palmer
  • I for one welcome our new isopod overlords.
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 04:49:12 PM
It is going to seem pat, but, I know the story is done when the d'enouement make sense and I have nothing else to write.
If you mean the 'revision/creation of art' sense of the story being finished, then, my answer would have to be 'never'.  Works of art are never completed, only abandoned.  I revise and change until I can see nothing else to revise or change.  Editors are a different kettle of fish.

What part of 'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn' didn't you understand?