Author Topic: Favorite Story  (Read 10560 times)

Laieanna

• Palmer
on: February 26, 2007, 05:33:55 PM
Now that all the stories are up, which one did you adore the most?  Let's pick ones that were not our own. 

There were a lot of fantastic stories, but I think the one that hit me the most was "Mosaic."  I'm disappointed it didn't get further, but to the author...I LOVED it.

Working on my comeback

GoodDamon

• Lochage
    • Speculations - My writing blog
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 05:43:57 PM
Mosaic was great, and would definitely be on my list of faves. But it's hard to narrow it down to just one, because they were so different. I would have to pick a favorite sci-fi, a favorite fantasy, a favorite serious story, a favorite comedy, etc.

Damon Kaswell: Reader, writer, and arithmetic-er

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 06:49:58 PM
As far as things that didn't go on, I remain in love with "Hello, I Love You."

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 06:55:32 PM
"Last Rights"  by Will Ross.
That story really hit home for me.  Sure, it wasn't perfect, but I thought the idea was very powerful.
Also, I've read a lot more "classic" sci-fi short stories that modern ones and "Last Rights" had more of a classic feel to it.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

EricTheLamprey

• Extern
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 10:57:38 PM
"Hello I Love You" made it to its semifinal, but undeservedly no further.
Sigh.

CatRambo

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 06:25:08 AM
Count me among the fans of "Hello I Love You".

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 03:41:54 PM
Likewise.  Off the top of my head, I was also fond of 'Trip of a Lifetime'.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 08:07:10 AM
The one that I like the most is "Apocalypso", but it didn't make it in the "Killer Group" 2.

Gary

• Peltast
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 01:24:28 AM
I would have a hard time narrowing it down between "Skyscraper" and "Tooth Fairy" ... so I'm glad I didn't have to!   ;)

RKG

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 01:35:35 PM
"Last Rights"  by Will Ross.
That story really hit home for me.  Sure, it wasn't perfect, but I thought the idea was very powerful.
Also, I've read a lot more "classic" sci-fi short stories that modern ones and "Last Rights" had more of a classic feel to it.

Agreed!   The story is (very marginally) flawed, but great nonetheless.  The author even fixed most of the minor complaints in the discussion afterwards.  The "consciousness upload" theme was a popular one in the contest and this was my favorite of them. 

I thought "Revenant", was very powerful after getting a little additional context from the author.  If I had somehow had that context when first reading the story it would have gotten my vote.

Turns out I liked all of Alasdair Stuart's stuff as well.  Can't wait to listen to this weeks Pseudopod.

rkg  101010