Escape Artists

News:

• The Semifinals of the Podcastle flash fiction contest are happening now! Head over to the Arcade and vote!

News

The Semifinals of the Podcastle flash fiction contest are happening now! Head over to the Arcade and vote!

Author Topic: Pimping Your Own Project  (Read 2509 times)

BlairHippo

• Peltast
    • The Blair Hippo Project
on: April 27, 2007, 05:44:32 PM
If you had a self-published project you were working on, how would you go about promoting it?

I ask because I'm the editor of an anthology called "Triangulation:  End of Time" (I'd link to it, but there's nothing to link to just yet).  It's the fourth in a series of anthologies produced by a group in Pittsburgh, but very few people outside of a small circle in the Pittsburgh area have ever heard of us.  It's a print anthology, but it's going to be available on-line this year and I'm very strongly leaning towards also making a PDF download available for cheap.  (Was it Eric Flint who said that obscurity is a vastly greater threat to writers than piracy?)

If you were in the position of having to establish what's more or less a brand-new market, what are some things you might try to promote it?  (Other than, you know, mentioning it by name in a post ostensibly dedicated to a larger topic.  *cough*)  What kinds of things might make you as a reader look at an anthology and say "Ooh, yeah, I gotta get me some of that!"?  Ever stumble across a resource that made you say "Damn, if only I had some fiction project to promote, this would be killer advice!"?

Thanks in advance.  :-)

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:18:37 PM
Go make yourself a thread at Speculations, certainly. Make a website. Get on the radio, if you can. Poke some of the people who run bigger small presses (say Duchamp @ Aqueduct) and see what they can tell you.