Author Topic: Short Story Triage  (Read 7283 times)

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
on: May 01, 2007, 04:20:03 PM
Alright, authors:  How do you determine which short story to write and spend time on, versus the one that isn't worth the energy?

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:10:13 PM
I taught a lecture on that last week in my class, which I basically ripped off from Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell.

http://www.amazon.com/Plot-Structure-Techniques-Exercises-Crafting/dp/158297294X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4357019-8166522?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178046577&sr=8-1

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 11:17:49 PM
Usually I go with whatever I'm excited about at the moment and try to focus on that through a good solid draft.  Then I work on something else for a little while before I come back and rewrite it.

I'll go read the link palimpsest posted now.  :)

Mfitz

• Peltast
    • Flying Whale Productions
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 01:32:42 PM
Alright, authors:  How do you determine which short story to write and spend time on, versus the one that isn't worth the energy?

Haven't a clue that's why I do novels.

Seriously, how people do short stories is a complete mystery to me.  I've come to believe it's a genetic talent, like perfect pitch.   Either you have a brain that can do a complete and satisfying story in 3000 words, or you don't.  The brain thing comes into play with knowing what story will work at that length, not the writing nuts and bolts.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:21:56 PM by Mfitz »

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 01:55:22 PM

JRDeRego's hierarchy of writing projects (from top - most important to bottom - least important)

1. Editor requests rewrite
2. Preparing final draft for first readers
3. Incorporating edits into final draft
4. Story that interests me in which I've already done some work
5. Story that interest me in which I've barely opened the title page
6. New Story idea

At any given time this list can change. I might have a good idea for a story and write the entire first draft in one day. I might also have an older story that I know needs something fixed or tweaked before I can submit it and I might finally realize what the story lacks. Also, I might also get a requested rewrite, or have a short deadline for a submission that sort of forces me to choose a specific story over some other that I'd rather be writing in. And finally, I can do all of these sort of at the same time, get bored on one, work on another, get bored with that one, work on something else for a while, and repeat through whatever documents are open.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

floatingtide

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 04:14:55 AM

Which stories would excite you most if someone described them? I'm a big believer in "write what you'd like to read."

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 07:31:08 PM
I tend to write a slew of stories over a period of a few weeks, then forget about them for a while.  I then go into my own "slush pile" and pick one that seems to have potential.  Usually by reading the first page, I can tell if this is a story that I can further develop.  It's more about how hot the ideas appears to me rather than the market. 

My problem is that my stories aren't pure genre and i'm not sure where to market them.  I working on a batch that could be presented to Asimov's.  Jack McDevitt said you should only concentrate on the high-paying paying, top-shelf markets since your reputation will grow faster once you're in.   Then, it opens many doors for you when you pitch a book.  It may take longer, but its the best path toward becoming a full-time writer.

Diabetic in Candyland -
Stories about Winning at Losing and Failing Successfully.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 09:39:07 AM
I have the start of a story that I adore. It´s about 2000 words, reads as the start of a novel, has some characters I´m great friends with, a premise I find interesting and developed it´s own voice that´s fun. The problem is it´s not going anywhere. No. Where. There´s no plot and for the life of me I can´t find one (the origins of this story lie a decade back).

I thought I came to terms with that and could shelve it, but I can´t. It´s always on my mind (sing along!). At least twice a week the opening lines spring to mind and I´m back wasting an hour thinking about it.

It´s worse than the end of an unhappy relationship. How do you let go of something you get emotionally involved with, especially when no amount of chocolate, alchohol or rebound sex will help?

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 12:40:57 PM
Sounds like you should keep working on it.

Have you sent it to a writer you trust for advice?

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 01:47:40 PM
I did a couple of years ago and their responses were: keep working on it (your writing needs improvement) and keep working on it (try and get it to GO somewhere). The first is definately true because although I kept at this story, I hadn´t really written any other fiction from then (1993) until the 300 word contest. The second point.... well they liked the premise but it really is based on a single idea and that does not a full plot make. It does need to go into the back of a drawer and be forgotten. If only I could!

Mfitz

• Peltast
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 02:35:37 PM
I know this sounds stupid, and since I don't know what your frag is about maybe it won't work, but could you try to graft it onto or around some sort of standard plot, just to get you some momentum?  Could the characters be peripheral to some sort of mystery, or quest, or even the dreaded boy-meets-girl thing?

Even if it doesn't work in the long run it might get some juices flowing or at least tell you where the story isn't going. 

Another ideas is to think about any other story bits you have floating around the back of your head and see if maybe they can't be connected.  I've had that work well for me.  Two characters I though went in different stories suddenly knocked together and the result was better than either of the originals would have been alone.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 05:53:12 PM
Well, (based on what you're saying about your writing history, which I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting) I would recommend writing three new short stories, and joining critters or OWW (I'm biased in favor of OWW). Put the new stories (one at a time) up on critters or OWW and hear what people have to say, and then rewrite them, which should give you some experience at rewriting.

Set those three stories aside, and then look with fresh eyes at the draft of the story that's been haunting you. Read it over, and then set it aside, too. Take a notebook and work through some plot exercises, for instance:

1) Write down 10 things that could happen in this story. Pick three that are interesting. Expand each of these three into a short scene.

2) A new character arrives. What happens? Freewrite.

3) A new threat arrives. What happens? Freewrite.

4) The story suddenly reverses direction in the middle. What happens now? Freewrite.

And see if anything clicks.

I'd probably leave the original text aside, and then try rewriting from scratch. Otherwise, you can get too sentimentally attached to preserving old phrasing or old ideas which were part of the problem in the first place.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 10:22:53 PM
Thanks for the input Palimpsest and Mfitz. I´ll definately take the advice. If you get a strange, elated PM from me somewhere in the future you´ll know it´s worked!

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:34:44 PM
Best of luck!

Mfitz

• Peltast
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 06:29:08 PM
Ditto