Author Topic: Escape Pod Flash Fiction Contest 2016 - Submission Rules  (Read 33558 times)

ZekeSixsmith

• Peltast
Reply #75 on: February 26, 2016, 12:58:03 PM
We may or may not allow minor typo corrections if those slip in

Is this still an option? Just found a typo, and it's really bothering me.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #76 on: February 26, 2016, 01:49:33 PM

Same, there's one part where I have 'the' and I actually meant to type 'thespaceshipblastedupwardsonamightypillarofflameasitsfusionreactorlaboredmightillybeforeburstingoutoftheatmosphere'.  Also, there was an instance of 'dog' that I wanted to replace with another, eh, compound word.  Yes, compound word.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #77 on: February 26, 2016, 03:06:08 PM

Same, there's one part where I have 'the' and I actually meant to type 'thespaceshipblastedupwardsonamightypillarofflameasitsfusionreactorlaboredmightillybeforeburstingoutoftheatmosphere'.  Also, there was an instance of 'dog' that I wanted to replace with another, eh, compound word.  Yes, compound word.

:D

South of No North

• Matross
  • Oneironaut and Alchymist
Reply #78 on: February 26, 2016, 03:13:57 PM

The rules advised to not use the title to subvert the word count restriction but no there was no mention of, eh, compound words.

"Yes, of course I can blame you. Without them, where would all of us outlaws be? What would we have? Only a lawless paradise...and paradise is a bore. Violence without violation is only noise heard by no one, the most horrendous sound in the universe." --The Chymist by Thomas Ligotti

Jec

• Palmer
Reply #79 on: February 26, 2016, 03:26:41 PM
Has the first set of stories been posted yet?  I am not on here much so I don't know where to look.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #80 on: February 26, 2016, 03:32:14 PM
Has the first set of stories been posted yet?  I am not on here much so I don't know where to look.
Last I heard, the initial target is first week of March so...  holy butts, that's right around the corner!

eytanz

Reply #81 on: February 26, 2016, 03:57:55 PM

It is. Please email me at eytan@escapeartists.net with the title of your story and the intended correction (please don't attach a whole new version of the story).

As for the stories - the first round will be posted on 1 March. I was going to post a full schedule earlier this week but real life intervened - it'll be up later today or tomorrow.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #82 on: February 26, 2016, 04:53:05 PM
The contest is set to start on Tuesday, March 1st. The first group should be posted then. It will be in this subforum.

Jec

• Palmer
Reply #83 on: February 26, 2016, 09:34:50 PM
The contest is set to start on Tuesday, March 1st. The first group should be posted then. It will be in this subforum.
Ok. Thank you.

nikolop

• Peltast
Reply #84 on: February 27, 2016, 02:02:09 PM
Hi, everyone.

So we vote for 0-3 stories in each group, right?

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #85 on: February 27, 2016, 02:55:11 PM
Hi, everyone.

Howdy :) That is indeed correct. Welcome!

nikolop

• Peltast
Reply #86 on: March 01, 2016, 02:21:45 PM
Hi, everyone.

Howdy :) That is indeed correct. Welcome!
Thanks! :)

mchertock

• Extern
Reply #87 on: March 08, 2016, 02:40:43 AM
I'm new to this messaging board, and I'm trying to participate in commenting on the Escape Pod fiction contest. But every time I click on the links to the sets of stories, I get an error message saying: "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you." How do I get access to read the stories?

Thanks!

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #88 on: March 08, 2016, 04:36:24 AM
I'm new to this messaging board, and I'm trying to participate in commenting on the Escape Pod fiction contest. But every time I click on the links to the sets of stories, I get an error message saying: "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you." How do I get access to read the stories?

Thanks!

Have you tried again since posting this?

I don't work for EA, so I don't know the  mechanics of it, but they like everyone to have at least 1 post to their names. Not because they hate honest lurkers, but because of the risk of an account with no posts to its name suddenly filling the forum with adverts for penis enlargers.

Try again now that you've posted once, and see if that works. :)

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #89 on: March 13, 2016, 02:52:42 PM
I assume the answer to this question is "No," but...

I know we submitted these "as is" for the voting, but if a story wins the contest despite some glaring error, will there be an opportunity for the author to fix anything in the text before the story is read?

Also, even if the answer is "Yes" I assume that will be at the editor's discretion by that point - not the author's last-minute attempt to re-draft.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

eytanz

Reply #90 on: March 14, 2016, 08:43:07 AM
I assume the answer to this question is "No," but...

I know we submitted these "as is" for the voting, but if a story wins the contest despite some glaring error, will there be an opportunity for the author to fix anything in the text before the story is read?

Also, even if the answer is "Yes" I assume that will be at the editor's discretion by that point - not the author's last-minute attempt to re-draft.

Once the winners are selected, they are treated as any other story accepted for publication in the podcast. Which means that it's entirely possible for the author to make suggestions to the editors if they feel that there's something in the submitted version that needs correcting, and it's up to the editors to decide whether or not they are willing to publish the story with the changes or not (and if they say no, it's up to the author to decide whether to agree to publish unrevised, make another suggestion, or withdraw the story, etc.).

I cannot speak for the EP editors as to what they'll feel is reasonable for contest entries - my involvement with the contest ends with the final round - but I know that in the recent pseudopod contest, there were some minor changes between the podcast version of the stories and the contest version.