Author Topic: Pseudopod 044: Stockholm Syndrome  (Read 12461 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: June 30, 2007, 12:35:02 AM
Pseudopod 044: Stockholm Syndrome

By David Tallerman

Read by Cheyenne Wright

Billy, he was first generation through and through. I don’t know what his story was, but when he turned up about two weeks ago he was wearing a suit, a real nice suit, he even still had a carnation in his buttonhole. I don’t know, maybe they was burying him when it happened. You’ve got to wonder what they’d have thought, when they was burying him and he got up like that.

Anyway, he cut quite a figure when he walked up Main Street in that suit. Well, not walked, y’know, I guess he shambled as much as the rest of them, but somehow he seemed kind of smarter than the others–more alert. And in that suit, he reminded me of my kid, when we buried him. That’s why I named him Billy.

Links mentioned in the closing comments:
Read more about the state of the hurricane disaster areas and what DRI is doing for them,
and/or donate to the cause (click the Donate button on the left and specify “hurricane relief” in the blank).

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Dex

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 01:08:32 AM
I'm a fool for a good zombie story.  I liked this slice of life in the zombie world.

floatingtide

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 02:27:15 AM
I loved the way this was read. It took a bit for the Mr. Wright to relax into the tone, but the dead emotion gave me chills.

jscorbett

• Extern
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 03:55:43 AM
A good zombie story.  I thought this one was better than "Everything is better with Zombies" though.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 04:28:42 AM
Aaaaaah zombies, who doesnt like zombies?
Good story, good read, good episode!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 06:20:46 PM
I listened to it yesterday and already can remember next to nothing about it, so I suppose that's a thumbs down from me.

And this is starting to become a problem for me, Pseudopod seems to have had a narrower scope in recent months than Escape Pod, does science-fiction have a wider range of possibilities than horror, or is this more the avenues for stories available to Pseudopod?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 01:07:45 PM
This has to be one of my favorite Pseudopods of all time, up there with Regis St. George and Counting from Ten. I know it doesn't sound like it if you just listen to the story, but the devil is in the details. On the surface it's just a story about a guy sitting in a house, but under that layer is a true cautionary tale about human nature. As unconscionable as it seems, boredom will take a hold, loneliness too, and the worst parts of human nature will ooze out.
My favorite part was him justifying "Well, maybe if she'd made it out of the house there'd have been something I could do for her." rather than just shooting the smart zombie. I wonder if the gunman realizes that he's put himself at greater risk by letting the smart one teach the dumb ones a new trick of persistence?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 03:07:37 PM
Great great great story.  Out of the 4 zombie stories on this podcast, I think this one is the most terrifying.  The idea that the protagonist just let so much of the horror happen when he could've done something just makes it all the more horrifying.  And Cheyenne Wright could make a living reading zombie stories. 

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 11:31:53 PM
I have the feeling that this story and "We Are All Very Lively" could very easily be set in the same world. I like that idea.

Thaurismunths was right on the money: just like the story says.. the zombies are making us more like them... being alive isn't the same as living. :)

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 07:38:48 PM
The brilliance of this story is that it gets at what makes really great apocalyptic fiction.  With a few exceptions, most modern apocalyptic fiction is about how scary the zombies are, or the mutants or the monsters or whatever.  The brilliance of classic apocalyptic fiction, the Wyndham era, is that the mosters are just background to the horror of how human beings treat each other when society collapses (and in many cases, the tenderness and humanity of which humans are also, in contrast, capable).  This is why 28 Days Later was so compelling to me.

What makes this human element important is two-fold.  First, there's the element of realism that was mentioned in the intro; anyone who has seen how people behave after natural disasters, or in wartime, or anywhere where the usual way of things is interrupted knows that this is where you truly see the heights and depths of human behavior.  Second, I think it just makes the horror so much more effective.  When the scariest things in the story are the zombies, you can console yourself that there's no such thing as zombies (at least in daylight  ;) ).  When the scariest things in the stories are the people next door, at least when driven to extremes, you've got something very real to be scared of....

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 04:32:55 PM
The brilliance of this story is that it gets at what makes really great apocalyptic fiction.  With a few exceptions, most modern apocalyptic fiction is about how scary the zombies are, or the mutants or the monsters or whatever.  The brilliance of classic apocalyptic fiction, the Wyndham era, is that the mosters are just background to the horror of how human beings treat each other when society collapses (and in many cases, the tenderness and humanity of which humans are also, in contrast, capable).  This is why 28 Days Later was so compelling to me.

What makes this human element important is two-fold.  First, there's the element of realism that was mentioned in the intro; anyone who has seen how people behave after natural disasters, or in wartime, or anywhere where the usual way of things is interrupted knows that this is where you truly see the heights and depths of human behavior.  Second, I think it just makes the horror so much more effective.  When the scariest things in the story are the zombies, you can console yourself that there's no such thing as zombies (at least in daylight  ;) ).  When the scariest things in the stories are the people next door, at least when driven to extremes, you've got something very real to be scared of....

This is a perfect definition of what I like in horror.  PERFECT!

Also, as an aside, this is why 28 Weeks Later didn't work as well for me as 28 Days Later.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

bolddeceiver

• Matross
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 02:37:24 AM
:-[Also, as an aside, this is why 28 Weeks Later didn't work as well for me as 28 Days Later.

For just that reason I've avoided seeing it...

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 04:22:21 PM
:-[Also, as an aside, this is why 28 Weeks Later didn't work as well for me as 28 Days Later.

For just that reason I've avoided seeing it...

It was worth watching to see an island full of zombies get bombed by...something.  Not sure what kind of weapon...maybe a thermobaric bomb or napalm?  Anyway, if I were going to write a zombie movie it would need a scene like that.  Besides that it wasn't as good though...

bolddeceiver

• Matross
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 08:04:43 PM
By the way, have you read Wyndham at all?  Certain of his books are basically what I wrote that definition from.  The best known would probably be The Midwich Cukoos (later adapted repeatedly as The Villiage of the Damned) and The Day of the Triffids, but he was actually a pretty prolific writer of both novels and shorts.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 10:09:39 AM
By the way, have you read Wyndham at all?  Certain of his books are basically what I wrote that definition from.  The best known would probably be The Midwich Cukoos (later adapted repeatedly as The Villiage of the Damned) and The Day of the Triffids, but he was actually a pretty prolific writer of both novels and shorts.
I'm kind of new to the whole horror book genre.  PP turned me on to horror in a form other than video.  I added The Day of the Triffids to my wishlist on Amazon though.  With x-mas coming up someone might actually get it for me.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Zathras

Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 04:33:22 AM

YES! YES! YES!

One of the best zombie stories I've heard in a while. Derego's fit into this category, too.

I love the fact that while he tries to justify his inaction by saying the zobmie reminded him of his son, the real reason he didn't shoot him was that HE WAS BORED!!!

Books, toilet paper and cigarettes, that's what you need to have in a zombie world!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 04:30:38 PM
Excellent story!  As others have said the real horror is not the zombies but what human beings can be capable of in extreme conditions.  Also, the human habit of attributing human qualities to objects and animals.

This story really had me on the edge of my seat when the girl was hanging out the window.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 11:27:11 PM
This one was good.  I'm not a big fan of Z-Apocalypse stories, but this one was actually engaging.  I enjoyed the weird connection the narrator had with "Billy" and the way he just couldn't quite kill him...  Very poignant.  This one's definately high on my list, but not a Top 10 pick.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.