Author Topic: Watchmen Trailer  (Read 44593 times)

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #50 on: July 24, 2008, 10:27:41 PM
I prefer not to me too on a thread, but I got here late :(

The only way "The Watchmen" ends up being a good movie is if they ignore the entire book and make up a story with the characters.  In the same way "300" has nothing whatsoever to do with real history.

The entire pirate/horror comic sidestory is near impossible to work into the movie and while you can tell the basic story without it, it really was critical to the flavour/sense of the story

Without making the movie 6 hours long they couldn't possibly do justice to Rorschach's analysis with the psychiatrist (or the impact on the doctor's relationships), Dr. Manhattan and Sally, and so on.

I could see this as a mini series but never a movie.

''There are things we did that could only work in a comic, and were indeed designed to show off the things that comics can do that other media can't.''
I agree with Moore!

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #51 on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:38 PM

The entire pirate/horror comic sidestory is near impossible to work into the movie and while you can tell the basic story without it, it really was critical to the flavour/sense of the story
   But like I say, it's being done.  It's being done in a crass, commercial way that requires you to buy a DVD if you want it but it IS being done.

I could see this as a mini series but never a movie.
   I've actually lost count of the amount of movies that would work better this way.  Jumper for example even played like a really, really good pilot.

And I find myself in a slightly odd position, simply because I think that trailer looks great and I loved the book.  Also, from a process geek point of view I'm fascinated to see what stays (And judging by that footage there's a lot of surprising stuff still in) and what goes:)

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 02:19:56 PM
   But like I say, it's being done.  It's being done in a crass, commercial way that requires you to buy a DVD if you want it but it IS being done.
Bu it really isn't.  Including it as an animated special feature on the side isn't the point.  The reflection of the horror comic against what was happening and the way it interwove with the main plot is one of the key experiences of the story.  It's being cut out as a seperate entity -it's like having a kidney taken out - you still have a good life, but your quality is comprimised.

I also liked "V for Vendetta" as a movie even though it butchered the original.  I may just like The Watchmen movie too - a well told story is still enjoyable, but it won't ever be "The Watchmen" any more than a Children's Illustrated Classic or a Reader's Digest version is actually the original novel.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #53 on: July 27, 2008, 07:53:27 PM
Well, having missed most of the conversation, and having little to add to amplify any of the comments, all I can really offer is a trailer link:

Leaked Watchmen trailer

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #54 on: July 27, 2008, 10:31:05 PM
Stinker - you and Rick will get yours someday  :P

Russell Nash

Reply #55 on: July 28, 2008, 08:05:05 AM
Well, having missed most of the conversation, and having little to add to amplify any of the comments, all I can really offer is a trailer link:

Leaked Watchmen trailer

First time I've been successfully Rick Rolled.  I will seek my revenge.  Maybe all of your posts from now on will end up in Pink.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #56 on: July 28, 2008, 01:39:22 PM

Leaked Watchmen trailer

Wow, kind of poppy and dancey-prancey.  I like it.  The Watchman has some potential.   ;)

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #57 on: July 30, 2008, 03:23:31 AM

Leaked Watchmen trailer

First time I've been successfully Rick Rolled.  I will seek my revenge.  Maybe all of your posts from now on will end up in Pink.

Being Pinked by a deity is worth it.  I've never successfully Rick Rolled anyone before.  :P   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:09:48 AM by Russell Nash »

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #58 on: July 30, 2008, 05:44:33 PM
Being Pinked by a deity is worth it.  I've never successfully Rick Rolled anyone before.  :P   

You don't want to be pink.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #59 on: July 30, 2008, 05:49:23 PM
Oh, come on. That's not pink.  THIS *is* pink. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #60 on: July 30, 2008, 06:40:23 PM
Oh, come on. That's not pink.  THIS *is* pink. 

I never said BOB was pink.  I just included the picture of BOB as a reminder of why one does not want to be pink.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #61 on: July 31, 2008, 04:12:33 AM

Leaked Watchmen trailer

Hmph... I expected it to be more "minty". 

Mod: How's that?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:40:30 AM by Russell Nash »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #62 on: August 04, 2008, 06:52:21 PM
Some very cool one sheets from ComicCon have been posted.  They all look pretty cool, but I think I like the Comedian one best.  Maybe it's the quote.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #63 on: August 04, 2008, 07:54:57 PM
Jeffrey Dean Morgan's great:)  Excellent as a badass in Supernatural and as good as an amiable everyman in Grey's Anatomy.  He's one of the big reasons I'm up for this.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #64 on: August 08, 2008, 03:36:55 AM

Leaked Watchmen trailer

Hmph... I expected it to be more "minty". 

Mod: How's that?

It's that kind of treatment that addicts people to internet forums, don't you know?  :D

Mod:  I guess I'm just an enabler.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:01:34 AM by Russell Nash »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #65 on: August 18, 2008, 10:38:39 PM

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #66 on: August 19, 2008, 01:59:19 AM
Ruh-Roh

Probably was a little obtuse — Fox is saying that they have the rights to Watchmen and are suing to enjoin WB from releasing the film. NYT Article.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #67 on: August 19, 2008, 02:45:49 AM
Ruh-Roh

When a man named Edward Blake (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) is brutally murdered, the investigations of masked right-winger Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley) reveal that Blake was once The Comedian,...

??? Rorschach is a "right winger"?  I didn't see him as having any particular political leanings at all.  More like a religious fundamentalist whack-job.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #68 on: August 19, 2008, 12:08:12 PM
I'd have to read it again to remember the details, but I'm pretty sure he was a hardline right-winger. He subscribed to the New Patriot, or whatever it was called, and generally held right-wing views on morality. I recall his views on sexual morality coming up more than once.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #69 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:57 PM
I recall his views on sexual morality coming up more than once.

Hence my impression of "religious fundie whackjob".

And speaking of Rorschach: YTMND
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:09:57 PM by stePH »

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #70 on: August 19, 2008, 03:07:48 PM
But he's not a religious fundamentalist; he barely mentions any religious beliefs he might have, and religion certainly seems to drive his personality far less than the physical abuse he suffered as a child and the things he's seen on the street. He seems to believe in a higher power only in the abstract; certainly he doesn't believe that prayers are granted or that he's going to be rewarded for doing what needs to be done.

True, Rorshach's beliefs intersect with those of the religious fundamentalists, but that's because both are right-wing, not because both are religious. Right-wing beliefs (being conservative) are informed by the more reactionary Christian morals, but that doesn't mean that every right-winger is a reactionary Christian.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

errant371

• Palmer
  • I for one welcome our new isopod overlords.
Reply #71 on: August 19, 2008, 03:14:52 PM
I always saw the character of Rorschach as more of a comment on the Batman archtype.  What would have happened if Bruce Wayne had of been more damaged by the death of his parents.  I feel that Moore was also making a comment on the 'unrealistic'-ness of comic book heroes when he wrote Watchmen, and developed his characters along the lines of how 'real' peopel would react in the situations he presents them.

What part of 'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn' didn't you understand?

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #72 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:23 PM
I always saw the character of Rorschach as more of a comment on the Batman archtype.  What would have happened if Bruce Wayne had of been more damaged by the death of his parents.  I feel that Moore was also making a comment on the 'unrealistic'-ness of comic book heroes when he wrote Watchmen, and developed his characters along the lines of how 'real' peopel would react in the situations he presents them.
I agree with that somewhat, the more rough, desipicable version of Batman, but really more the Punisher/Question/Spirit type.  Clearly though Owlman is the 80's version of Bats with all the fancy gadgets.

I agree with wintermute, Rorschach isn't religious.  I don't recall any religious comments whatsoever regarding his charatcer.  His was the Black is black and White is white(hence his love of the material he made into his mask) - his belief was "you do bad things you get punished/hurt"

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #73 on: August 20, 2008, 05:47:36 PM
I agree with that somewhat, the more rough, desipicable version of Batman, but really more the Punisher/Question/Spirit type.  Clearly though Owlman is the 80's version of Bats with all the fancy gadgets.

I thought it was interesting that Moore seemed to split up Bruce Wayne/Batman into Rorschach and Nite Owl.  Maybe it was so he could deal with some of the issues completely seperately?  They both, to some extent, reminded me of Batman, though.  Although I like the Punisher comparison, too.  Which is probably timely, as I think he was hitting his stride in the 80s.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #74 on: August 20, 2008, 05:50:57 PM
I agree with wintermute, Rorschach isn't religious.  I don't recall any religious comments whatsoever regarding his charatcer.  His was the Black is black and White is white(hence his love of the material he made into his mask) - his belief was "you do bad things you get punished/hurt"

Doesn't explain his sexual hangups.