Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 845389 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #2400 on: January 08, 2014, 01:10:08 PM
I tried "Rule 34" by Charles Stross, but I just can't get into it. Think I'm going to either try "Ancillary Justice" by Leckie or the second Kushiel book by Carey next.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2401 on: January 09, 2014, 01:10:06 AM
about half way through, just reached the riot at the Food Mart.

davidthygod

• Peltast
Reply #2402 on: February 10, 2014, 08:13:16 PM
The Player of Games by Iain Banks and I am about to go on Banks free for all based on how much I liked this one.

The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2403 on: February 11, 2014, 04:53:00 PM
OMG you guys. If you like the weird, I highly recommend Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation. It's a seemingly simple story about four scientists exploring the mysterious Area X, and how their little expedition goes from weird to FUBAR pretty much right away. VanderMeer does a great job of keeping it tight (it's a very slim book), weird, and going in unexpected places. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to relisten to it some time this year, which is not something I normally do.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #2404 on: February 12, 2014, 01:33:26 PM
STILL slogging through "Ancillary Justice". I'm enjoying it, but it's got really long chapters and I've been reading too late at night to get more than a few pages done a day. My own fault, I suppose.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #2405 on: February 12, 2014, 01:50:17 PM
STILL slogging through "Ancillary Justice". I'm enjoying it, but it's got really long chapters and I've been reading too late at night to get more than a few pages done a day. My own fault, I suppose.
I have to pick up the book. I tried the audiobook and I just could NOT listen to it, but I am very interested in the story.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2406 on: February 12, 2014, 02:36:53 PM
Yeah, it's hard to find the right things to read at night for me. I almost need something more popcorn. Ancillary Justice would be hard for me to do only a few pages here, and a few there.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2407 on: February 12, 2014, 03:11:59 PM
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken.  I also picked up Hocus Pocus by Vonnegut from the library.  It only took two years but they finally got some Vonnegut.   :D

Jompier

• Palmer
  • From a galaxy far, far on the East Coast.
Reply #2408 on: February 13, 2014, 11:12:22 PM
I'm reading David Gerrold's When HARLIE was One and I am liking it very much. The passages where HARLIE goes on at length about his efforts to understand God, Love, and Morality are especially good.

Procyon

• Palmer
Reply #2409 on: February 18, 2014, 04:11:09 PM
Simultaneously going through my library's five volume, beat-up yet still gorgeous hardcover Absolute Sandman and Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed.  Sandman is somewhat hit or miss for me, which I think turned me off of it in the past, but I decided it's high time I just read the whole thing.  Still hit or miss, but I love the art.

Throne of the Crescent Moon I'd describe as "an enjoyable romp."  I think my favorite aspect so far is how the main characters all sort of resent each other.

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #2410 on: February 27, 2014, 12:36:51 PM
Just finished the Hunger Games series, excellent writing, the setting was a bit unrealistic though (concerning economy and politics). Now consolidating some of my non-fiction reading.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2411 on: February 27, 2014, 02:32:19 PM
The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2412 on: February 28, 2014, 03:33:17 PM
Listening to Stephen King's Joyland. Pretty good!

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2413 on: March 03, 2014, 07:55:51 PM
ready to start Patricia Cornwall's Dust.  Just finished Undead Pool.  Great story.  If you have ever read any kim Harrison, you will probably like it.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #2414 on: March 03, 2014, 09:58:50 PM
Just about to start The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M Valente. Say that five times fast!

suzume234

• Extern
Reply #2415 on: March 04, 2014, 01:33:42 AM
Just about to start The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M Valente. Say that five times fast!

That was a lovely and clever story, I thought. :)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #2416 on: March 10, 2014, 04:52:24 PM

I just finished it, and I feel the same way! Really wonderful. :)

suzume234

• Extern
Reply #2417 on: March 10, 2014, 05:41:45 PM

That book is actually the fist in a series. I keep meaning to pick up more of them.  I'm so happy you liked it! ^_^
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:19:39 PM by eytanz »

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #2418 on: March 10, 2014, 07:37:53 PM
After I finished Leckie's "Ancillary Justice", I moved onto "Kushiel's Chosen" by Jacqueline Carey. I'm in a very boring political-intrigue part, and I think the whole inciting incident of the book is kind of silly -- if Phedre hadn't risen to the bait then none of this would've happened -- but otherwise the writing is still good.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2419 on: March 11, 2014, 02:15:24 AM
Spook Country by William Gibson. I didn't love Pattern Recognition, the story was too small and intimate for the voluminous amount of filler material that amounted to a virtual non existent conflict, but I liked the writing more than the storytelling. If Spook Country doesn't hook me in the first hundred, though, I'm bailing.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2420 on: April 03, 2014, 03:06:10 PM
I seem to be on something of a crime spree, occasionally with supernatural tendencies.

- Joyland, by Stephen King. This was fun, in that coming of age story that King does so well.
- Veronica Mars:The Thousand Dollar Tan Line, by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham (and narrated by Veronica Mars herself: Kristen Bell!) This was a really solid tie-in novel, and I was surprised by how much emotion the authors were able to mine.
- The Shining Girls, by Lauren Beukes. What I'm currently listening to. It's well written, but I don't have a strong opinion about it yet.

Not sure what it'll be next. I have a radio play from the library of the Maltese Falcon with Michael Madsen, which could be pretty smooth.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2421 on: April 03, 2014, 03:14:12 PM
I seem to be on something of a crime spree, occasionally with supernatural tendencies.

- Joyland, by Stephen King. This was fun, in that coming of age story that King does so well.
- Veronica Mars:The Thousand Dollar Tan Line, by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham (and narrated by Veronica Mars herself: Kristen Bell!) This was a really solid tie-in novel, and I was surprised by how much emotion the authors were able to mine.
- The Shining Girls, by Lauren Beukes. What I'm currently listening to. It's well written, but I don't have a strong opinion about it yet.

Not sure what it'll be next. I have a radio play from the library of the Maltese Falcon with Michael Madsen, which could be pretty smooth.

Have you listened to The Colorado Kid by King? I think it was his first venture into crime stories. The story is only ok, but the narration on the audiobook makes it worth the investment of time.

You might also appreciate the Joe Hensley short story anthology I just finished.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2422 on: April 03, 2014, 03:24:01 PM
I have not. I have read a fair amount of King, but there's still a lot more of his stuff I'd like to read. I'll add the Colorado Kid to the list (I think my library has a bunch of copies of it).

Also would be happy to read more Hensley :)

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2423 on: April 03, 2014, 10:35:52 PM
recently finished Stolen Crown by Dennis L McKiernan and while it may be last in a series it read like a first with descriptions of the races, locations etc.  Way too much world building with only about one chapter of actual action.  I slogged through it, I would give it about 2.5 stars.  I didn't hate it, just way too much world building going on. 

Just started Shaman by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #2424 on: April 15, 2014, 06:09:29 PM

That book is actually the fist in a series. I keep meaning to pick up more of them.  I'm so happy you liked it! ^_^

Finally reached the head of the library queue to check out Divergent. In a sentence, (and with the caveat that I haven't actually read Twilight) it is the exact average of Hunger Games and Twilight. ::)

As a palate cleanser, I am now reading Catherynne M Valente's second YA novel, The Girl who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There. :)