Author Topic: PodCastle Episode 1: "Come Lady Death" by Peter Beagle  (Read 43800 times)

Drakona

• Extern
    • I am woman, hear me ramble
Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 09:07:15 AM
What everyone else says, basically - so glad you're up and running, and ohhhhhh what a lovely start. The story was amazing, as well as the delivery. It quite reminded me of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, for obvious reasons like the setting, but also for the typically nonchalant treatment of the supernatural or higher powers as something just like us, that is expected to follow the same rules, laws and procedures as the rest of us. Lovely!

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 11:36:38 AM
Great start.  Perfect choice for narrator.  Looking forward to more good stuff. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 04:36:58 PM
Speaking of fairy tales, I expected things to go much worse for the aristos when Death asked them if they were all really, really sure that they wanted her to stay around: when fairy-tale characters ask that kind of loaded question, I run a mile.

Heh.  Me, too.  Having never read this before, I was totally expecting it to devolve into a Masque of the Red Death scenario, because they all seemed so cruel, especially with their attitude to the poor and sick.

I did also wonder if Gaiman took at least some inspiration for his Death from this story.  The two are very different of course, but they're both portrayed as young, beautiful girls -- not at all the perception of death we're used to imagining.

Great premiere episode.  I'm really excited to hear what's in store for us!

cryptocrat

• Extern
    • Homepage
Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 06:06:07 PM
Excellent first episode.

Solid story choice, and great narration.

One suggestion: perhaps the intro and outro could be delivered a little closer to the mic?  I see that it has been commented that the speech was too soft in comparison to the background music, and I wonder whether it was too soft, or didn't cut through the mix enough due to attenuation of mid frequencies.  I have no idea what equipment you are using, but this could be due to mic placement.

Ramsey

• Extern
    • www.ramseyhong.com
Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 06:13:03 PM
I loved the story! Written so beautifully. And wonderfully read. I would have so totally danced with hot death. Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 06:14:57 PM by Ramsey »

Russell Nash

Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 06:46:54 PM
I realized that I have not read much of Mr.Beagle's work and I went to Amazon to see what was available.  I found a couple of titles and linked to them for the rest of you.  If I am missing some must reads, let me know.

The Line Between (Paperback)
The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances (Paperback)
The Fantasy Worlds of Peter S. Beagle (Paperback)
The Last Unicorn: (40th Anniversary Edition) (Paperback)

eytanz

Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 07:40:40 PM
I realized that I have not read much of Mr.Beagle's work and I went to Amazon to see what was available.  I found a couple of titles and linked to them for the rest of you.  If I am missing some must reads, let me know.

If you enjoy low-key, very human fantasy, "A fine & private place" is well worth checking out.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:18:19 PM by eytanz »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 11:51:40 PM
I did also wonder if Gaiman took at least some inspiration for his Death from this story.  The two are very different of course, but they're both portrayed as young, beautiful girls -- not at all the perception of death we're used to imagining.

Neil,Thanks for the heads up about the Peter S. Beagle book. I too stumbled onto him as a child, wandering around Lake Tahoe on a vacation with my parents. In a small, quaint, they-don't-make-em'-like-that-anymore bookstore I came across "The Fantasy Worlds of Peter S. Beagle. It not only turned me into a serious reader for life, it made me want to be a writer as well.Beagle is one of those writers who escapes your memory when asked "who are your influences?", but immediatly brings a smile to your face when someone else brings him up. Thanks again for the info, and the smile.-Steve Gomez

That was exactly my thought. I almost never mention Beagle in a list of influences, but I know that Matthew the Raven was a descendant of the raven in A Fine and Private Place, and that the Death in "Come, Lady Death" was definitely somewhere in the back of my mind when I decided that Death had to be a girl...

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

asqwasqw

Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 03:53:59 AM
hmmm, i feel so out of place and isolated, but i didnt like the theme music....
the story was great though and i enjoyed the perspective, and the story that came from it

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 03:55:05 AM

Neil,Thanks for the heads up about the Peter S. Beagle book. I too stumbled onto him as a child, wandering around Lake Tahoe on a vacation with my parents. In a small, quaint, they-don't-make-em'-like-that-anymore bookstore I came across "The Fantasy Worlds of Peter S. Beagle. It not only turned me into a serious reader for life, it made me want to be a writer as well.Beagle is one of those writers who escapes your memory when asked "who are your influences?", but immediatly brings a smile to your face when someone else brings him up. Thanks again for the info, and the smile.-Steve Gomez

That was exactly my thought. I almost never mention Beagle in a list of influences, but I know that Matthew the Raven was a descendant of the raven in A Fine and Private Place, and that the Death in "Come, Lady Death" was definitely somewhere in the back of my mind when I decided that Death had to be a girl...

Ah, thanks!  You're a gentleman and a scholar!

BasicJim

• Extern
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 06:58:58 PM
What a great story to start with!  The narration was phenomenal as well.  I hope to hear much more of him!

I liked the story in general and it was the elitist attitudes that kept me engaged.  I was waiting for them to receive their "just dues," which sadly, never came.  Maybe on pseudopod they would have.

The death premise seemed reminiscent of 'On a Pale Horse' but that could just be me.

Can't wait for more!

Jim

eytanz

Reply #36 on: April 05, 2008, 08:52:18 AM
The death premise seemed reminiscent of 'On a Pale Horse' but that could just be me.

Probably not, since someone else mentioned it above. I think it's pretty likely that "On a pale horse" was influenced directly by this story.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 02:23:17 PM
I was going to come and add to the "hooray/great story/glad you've launched" sentiment.

Then I thought I'd be waggish and cobble together a big fake "I hated this story/it's not real fantasy", just to be funny.

Then I thought, no... that would be mean.  And you guys did too good a job for even fake snark.  So I'm settling for a "thanks for the hard work that obviously went into this" and looking forward to the next few weeks!

Cheers,

Tad

Edit: fixed quotation marks
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 08:19:46 PM by Tango Alpha Delta »

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 03:35:52 PM
What an amazing story. Great choice for the PC debut, and wonderfully read!
Congratulations Pod Castle!

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 05:24:17 PM
Once I stopped having the mental picture of the Death of the Discworld out of my mind when the story got to the point where death showed up, I was able to get into it better. Having listened to at least 5 Discworld books in just a few days, I had it imprinted in my mind.

I think I will quite enjoy PodCastle. I've never been a huge fantasy fan, though Tolkien has always been enjoyed, I am glad to be able to hear more. I listen to podcasts all day at work, so variety is great! I'll soon catch up in the archives, so I'll need more sources to keep a full plate of ear food.

Going back to my first point, I think listening to other possibilities can really expand the way we think, because we can easilly get set in a way, and even something that is not reality can change how we view reality.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 06:35:39 AM
Once I stopped having the mental picture of the Death of the Discworld out of my mind when the story got to the point where death showed up, I was able to get into it better. Having listened to at least 5 Discworld books in just a few days, I had it imprinted in my mind.

[off topic]
Which ones? The ones read by Nigel Planer?  I've heard Hogfather, Guards! Guards! and I think one more (and of course the three Tiffany Aching books and The Amazing Maurice read by Stephen Briggs) ... I've got all the audios unabridged except Small Gods ... have the Tony Robinson reading of that.
[/off topic]

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 07:42:35 AM

[off topic]
Which ones? The ones read by Nigel Planer?  I've heard Hogfather, Guards! Guards! and I think one more (and of course the three Tiffany Aching books and The Amazing Maurice read by Stephen Briggs) ... I've got all the audios unabridged except Small Gods ... have the Tony Robinson reading of that.
[/off topic]

How do they deal with the footnotes?

If this goes too far/long, I'll split it into a different thread.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 12:49:30 PM
Well worth the wait!

Wouldn't you know that my i-pod went through the wash the day before this came out? For the second time this year? [Takes a day or two to dry out - but it still works like new, and is so much cleaner! ::)]

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 10:15:05 PM

[off topic]
[/off topic]

How do they deal with the footnotes?

If this goes too far/long, I'll split it into a different thread.

In order, up to Wyrd Sisters, which I am on, but need to finish listening too. I was getting burned out on em {:0p Nigel Planer, yes, other than the ones read by a woman whose name escapes me.

Footnotes are read with an echo.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #44 on: April 07, 2008, 12:46:49 AM
Great story, reading, and well, everything!

Being somewhat underread in the fantasy genre I didn't pick up on any of the influences behind this story. I was wondering if everyone ate the salmon mousse, though.

Chey

• Extern
Reply #45 on: April 07, 2008, 04:54:04 PM
I loved the story, and am now kicking myself for not having discovered the author before now.  I will admit I’m not a fan of the theme music though.  This surprised me since pseudopod and escape pod have music which fits them perfectly.

I too am a huge fan of the Pratchett books on audio.  Not only do I get to listen while I’m moving about, but I can actually get my husband to expierence the foolishness and satire that is Pratchett.  I love Stephen Brigg’s reading of the Tiffany Aching series, his Nac Mac Feegle voices are fantastic.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #46 on: April 07, 2008, 08:25:45 PM
It quite reminded me of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Exactly the comparison I was going to use. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I was waiting for a twist or a more sublime or dramatic presentation of the message that "life is worth appreciating." It just seemed to lack the punch that I thought it should have had. The potential was there, but it just didn't deliver, for me. The style and tone were beautiful, and I did like the story, I just didn't love it. I'm very excited about what's to come, though!

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #47 on: April 08, 2008, 10:36:12 PM
That was a fabulous beginning.  I haven't heard of the author before, but will probably be looking him up in the near future.  I was impressed by his ability to avoid turning it into just another "supernatural being takes revenge on heartless rich people" story and go for real subtlety and nuance. 

I didn't sense the hostess becoming Death as being so much a punishment as simply the logical outcome of where her choices thus far have taken her.  I think she might actually enjoy the job, once she finds her bearings...

If this is what we have to look forward to, I'm looking forward to more Podcastle.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

sonata

• Extern
Reply #48 on: April 09, 2008, 08:38:21 PM
Great way to start out!

I really like the theme music... what is it/who is it by?

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #49 on: April 09, 2008, 08:40:24 PM
Great way to start out!

I really like the theme music... what is it/who is it by?

It's by Shiva in Exile.

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/shiva-ethnic/