Author Topic: So here's the deal...  (Read 49735 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: April 09, 2010, 03:29:59 AM
Hi all,

This'll be a short message, with a longer one later.  First things first: I am alive.  Family's doing well, including Harper:

There's been a lot going on, but that's a lousy excuse to be radio silent for this long.  I'm sorry about that.  This doesn't justify it, but it's symptomatic of one thing: I've been managing my energy poorly.  I'm being stretched too thin.

That warrants more explanation, and I'll say more soon.  What I want you to know right now is that I'm going to be resigning from Escape Pod.  This isn't actually a negative, although it probably sounds that way.  It's the right thing to do for myself and it's the right thing to do for the podcast.  There's a plan in the works to bring new energy in -- one or more people who will do better by you than I have lately.

Escape Pod won't be going away.  I really do think the podcast matters.  The stories matter, and the audience matters.  And I'm not going to say you'll never hear my voice again.  But I won't be trying to keep everything on my shoulders.  That worked for a few years, and I felt I needed to keep coming back to it.  But I think you deserve better.  And we're going to work to make sure you get it.

Whew.

So.  How's things with you?

fixed image link
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:59:59 AM by Bdoomed »

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:03:56 AM
Steve, we all love you and respect you and appreciate all the stories you've given us directly through Escape Pod, and also indirectly through Pseudopod and PodCastle. You've changed a lot of our lives for the better by sharing them with us, and I thank you for it.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:15:18 AM
Cute!! :) Glad to hear the family is well.

Sounds like you're making a good call. Thanks for everything you've done.

Look forward to hopefully hearing you on at least some episodes in the future.

Good luck and best wishes with getting your stuff sorted out.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 04:16:33 AM
She's adorable.  She deserves your time and attention more than us whiny ingrates.  I mean that.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 05:00:33 AM
When I joined here I was at the beginning of college, and now I'm a month and change away from graduating. Escape Pod, and obviously later Podcastle, has been part of the background radiation of my existence for the last few years and I'm much enriched for it being there.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 05:15:40 AM
Steve, you have brought me five years of awesome stories.  I came to Escape Pod in my freshman year of high school, when I was 15.  You entertained me all throughout high school and through my first two years of college.  Seeing you leave will be sad, but understandable.  You have given us so much, and not just entertainment, you have given us your time and effort.  I am sure I am speaking for everyone here when I say we are grateful.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:14:10 AM
I am so conflicted about this.  Steve, I completely understand your decision; and I am happy for you in your success at work and within your family, and with the burden that will be lifted from your shoulders.  But on a sentimental level, this makes me sad.  Escape Pod without Steve Eley seems blasphamous, so I hope you will be involved at some level, though obviously less frequent.  You have given me great joy with the powerful engine you brought life to and developed these past years.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

raetsel

• Peltast
    • MCL & Me
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:24:53 AM
I've only been listening to Escape Pod a few short months but it quickly became a highlight of my week and that is due in no small part to your excellent efforts Steve.

Just want to say thanks for all your hard work and I look forward to seeing you pop back now and again in some form or other.

So glad Escape Pod will be continuing and I hope it will be as good as ever, just different without you at the helm.

Thanks again.

Simon x

eytanz

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:42:24 AM
Steve - like everyone else here, I want to thank you for your time and all your effort you put into Escape Pod, and later Escape Artists as a larger company. I know this must have been a hard decision for you, but I trust that you would never have made it if it was not the right one. I hope that what you are feeling now is pride, for the fact that you can leave EP without anyone fearing EP will end shows what a great job you have done and the legacy you leave here.

I hope to hear again from you soon - at the very least, pop by occasionally to share more gorgeous baby pics :)

Sharon Lewis Jones

• Extern
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:21:14 AM
I am so glad to hear you are all fine I was getting worried. Harper looks beautiful congratulations I know how much you were looking forward to her arrival.

We will miss you on EP but you absolutely must do what is best for you and your family. I believe whoever you find to take over EP will be superb as I don’t think you would select anyone less. I hope you will still read for us sometimes as you have a lovely reading voice.

Please keep in touch. Next time you come to the UK we should meet up and perhaps finish the Fitzwilliam museum.

Sharon Lewis-Jones

Blueverie

• Extern
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 11:00:08 AM
Hate to see you go.  (really)

but take care of your self first.  I know how that goes.

Good luck and thanks :)

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 12:12:08 PM
Priorities, man.  Priorities.  I think we're about the same age, and I find, the older I get, the more important it is to understand what's *realy* important to me, and to act accordingly.  I also find that those decisions seem to get harder and harder.  One of the lessons I'm still trying to instill on my daughters is that, sometimes, you have to give up something you like, maybe even love, to take care of something you love even more.
Still, I can't help but think, when I look at what EA has accomplished, that one of your babies is all grown up!  You must be a very proud papa indeed. 
Add mine to the chorus of voices who thanks you for what you've started, and what you've done.  I've learned so much about good fiction, about how and why I enjoy it, and about sharing that experience with others, from the work you've done and from what you've shared with all of us.  Well done, sir.

Atras

• Extern
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 12:34:43 PM
Steve,
Congratulations on the newest addition to the family, she is super cute!  It wouldn't surprise me to find that I speak for all of us when I say that you will be missed, but you have to take care of you.  I know everyone with a baby will understand that your time is going to be too spread out for a while.  It's bittersweet, to be sure, but you take care of you, I know you will find (more likely have found) someone capable to take care of Escape Pod.  Don't be a stranger, and have fun!

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 01:37:15 PM
Best wishes to you and yours Steve.  You will be missed.  Thanks for all you have done for Escape Artists, Podcasting, and Genre Fiction.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 04:18:46 PM
 :( Going to miss your voice on the 'cast.  But you gotta do what you gotta, and I wish you all the best.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:51 PM
Have to echo everybody else Steve, going to miss you and no, EP isn't going to be the same, but it'll still be good and it'll still be your baby too. Stay well and stay safe, all love to your family too.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

abouttime

• Extern
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 04:42:40 PM
I am happy to hear that Steve Eley is resigning.  I hope he enjoys a successful and happy life with his family and friends.  I have been hoping to see someone else step up to lead Escape Pod for some time.  Best of luck to Steve (if he even reads this). 

(Hopefully this reply will not be deleted.)

mod: Nevermind.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:22:43 PM by Heradel »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 05:54:29 PM
I am happy to hear that Steve Eley is resigning.  I hope he enjoys a successful and happy life with his family and friends.  I have been hoping to see someone else step up to lead Escape Pod for some time.  Best of luck to Steve (if he even reads this). 

(Hopefully this reply will not be deleted.)

mod: Nevermind.

I guess I should explain a little bit more. Usually when I feel the need to edit I do the edits, then go to another tab before hitting save and see if I still think I should a few minutes later. Most of the time I realize that it's ok and my initial reaction came out of a place of emotion rather than logic, but in this case I was a bit rushed and didn't do the customary backing away. The test here has always been ad hominem, and while this approaches it it doesn't go over. So on a few minutes reflection and some consultations, the post was put back as it was.

We allow and encourage criticism here. We often criticize. It's hard sometimes to find that line between criticizing the act, creative or otherwise, and the person who acts.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:05:03 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 06:17:45 PM
Steve - I can honestly say that I do not think ANYONE else but you could have brought Escape Pod from infancy to maturity.  You should be proud of what you have accomplished.  I know other Podcasters have been inspired by you (Norm Sherman of the Drabblecast).  I just wanted to say THANK YOU for all of your hard work.  I truly appreciate the hours that you have put into this project and wish you the best.

baclaw

• Extern
Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 08:26:23 PM
Steve,

After listening to your family of podcasts for a while, I registered today to wish you congratulations on the new addition to your life.  As a brand new father of a 3 month old myself, I understand the amount of time and energy that a little one can take up.  Hopefully, you'll be able to fall into a routine which will give you more free time (and I hear that someday you'll get more sleep -- still waiting on that one myself).  I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, whether that brings you back to Escape Artists or not.  Thanks for getting this wonderful addition to my week off the ground.

MasterThief

• Extern
Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 10:13:20 PM
A man with his priorities in order.  Live long and prosper.  And narrate a funny story every once in a while for us!

If I was a Master Thief, perhaps I'd rob them...

Guardian Lion

• Extern
Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 12:23:00 AM
Steve,

I first started listening to all three of the Escape Artists podcasts this past October after fellow podcaster Wil Sanborn started linking some of your works from his feed, http://www.anthrodreams.com/.  The episodes at the time kept me awake and entertained through many, many long road trips. (A Pseudopod episode probably saved my life during one of these, but that's a story for a different time/forum.) Recently I started at the beginning of Escape Pod archive and have been steadily working my way forward on my daily commutes.  Needless to say, I've been enjoying time spent in my car a lot more since. ;D

When I checked the Escape Pod site today and noticed it hadn't updated in a while, I found myself at this thread looking for the reason.  I'm a bit saddened by your decision to leave the podcast.  While I've got a long way to go before I hit the current episodes again, I feel like I've gotten to know you a little just by how much of you you've put into Escape Pod over the years.  It just won't be quite the same without your voice welcoming us to each episode accompanied by the strains of Daikaiju's intro music.  But I also understand and completely support your decision.  I know from first-hand experience how much of one's life a project like this can take up.  So I wish you and your family the best of everything and hope to hear you both back on the podcasts from time to time.  If you tend to your children with the same care you've shown this one, I don't see how they could go wrong.  Cheers!  ;)

ancawonka

• Palmer
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 12:24:59 AM
It's no small feat to create a thing and have it continue and grow without you. The hardest part is handing it off to someone else.  Steve, congratulations on this accomplishment. I hope that Escape Pod will continue - you have some talented and competent people working for you.

Enjoy the additional time with your family that you'll get after you're no longer stressing abou being behind with EP.

Cheers
Anca

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 12:56:19 AM
you started something exceptional with escape pod & escape artists and at times i've envied you because this (one of the highest compliments a competitive geek can offer someone).  now you've shown self awareness and maturity in deciding what your limits are, i respect you for that. 

best of luck in your future projects and the big seat by the fire will always be waiting for you.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 12:22:48 PM
A very, very tough decision well taken. Respect, Steve.