Author Topic: User Names  (Read 53795 times)

Paul Turnbull

• Extern
    • one of me
on: March 03, 2007, 07:09:34 PM
Strange but true. Despite the fact that every user name I've seen here seems to assume that spaces are not allowed...they are. Or at least I apparently was allowed a space.

Perhaps a note in the sign up screen indicating that spaces are persmissible in the user names would be in order. That way people can have expanded options in the names they choose.

<tanget/>User names are interesting thing. I've been using various ones online for going on 20 years now and more and more now, if I can, I use my real name. I'm not sure of the novelty has worn off but giving myself a strange username rarely appeals to me anymore. Of course using me real name makes it harder to for search to surface old material that is guaranteed to be me. I have one username that use 100 per cent of the times I don't user my real name that, so far, is only used by me. I like that.

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:17:21 PM
People take you more seriously when they know who you are.  It's one of the reasons Livejournal bugs the snot out of me.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 11:14:19 PM
I have a user name that I use everywhere that I can.  The only reason I use it is that it is an anagram of my real name and it sounds like a writer's pen name, at least to me.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Startrekwiki

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:56:49 AM
I have a user name that I use everywhere that I can.  The only reason I use it is that it is an anagram of my real name and it sounds like a writer's pen name, at least to me.

I use my nickname: Webmaster_2.0, except the word "Webmaster" is not allowed for some reason... But otherwise, I use my site's name: Star Trek Wiki. My names are always one or the other.
I think that some names are pretty cool though - the fictional ones - such as Reaper_Z, or stvgskll. Okay, stvgskll might be hard to remember... That's also a problem: remembering your name. If you're going to be joining something like a forum, USUALLY, YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER your username to get in.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 07:42:16 AM
I use my nickname: Webmaster_2.0, except the word "Webmaster" is not allowed for some reason...

FYI, it was in the default list of disallowed user names when I installed the software, along with "Guest" and "Admin" and a few others. 

I'm assuming the reason why is because it could easily be used for social engineering hacks: Joe Newbie gets a PM from 'Webmaster' saying "Hi, we're doing some maintenance right now, and I think I erased your settings.  Send me your password and I'll fix everything."  Or other cons along those lines.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:47:53 PM
i use Bdoomed for everything really, it started with my Gmail account, when i couldnt get something along the lines of my real name, so i thought up Bdoomed (B being my first initial) and it just kinda stuck. (B as in my first initial and B as in Be doomed, and doom because i like Invader Zim a lot, etc.) besides, NO one else has Bdoomed as their screen name.

also i think screen names show expression.  If the sn is yer real name than you appear more serious/professional.  a different name will reflect other aspects of yer personallity.  For instance, StartrekWiki... well im GUESSING he's intO star trek!  Luvergrl012143... probably a teen girl whO Thinks shes hot and cool... (but we know shes probably not)

et cetera.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:54:36 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

madjo

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:00:57 AM
Even though it doesn't really look like it, my nickname is derived from my real name.

And I've been using it for quite some time (even own a domain name of it, though the site itself hasn't seen much updates for a long time, madjo.nl :)).

I've been using it since 1998 or something like that.

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 08:47:10 PM
Mine is the assumed alias of a movie character. Used it with my first account and have used it ever since.

Startrekwiki

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:26:51 PM
I use my nickname: Webmaster_2.0, except the word "Webmaster" is not allowed for some reason...

FYI, it was in the default list of disallowed user names when I installed the software, along with "Guest" and "Admin" and a few others. 

I'm assuming the reason why is because it could easily be used for social engineering hacks: Joe Newbie gets a PM from 'Webmaster' saying "Hi, we're doing some maintenance right now, and I think I erased your settings.  Send me your password and I'll fix everything."  Or other cons along those lines.

Oh. Well, I didn't mind anyway. Startrekwiki advertises my site, and it's something that I'll remember well.

zed

• Extern
    • Random Thoughts From a Mad Man
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 12:18:59 PM
I've been Zed since the '80s when you could only put three letters in a video game when you got the high score. ;)

Cogito Ergo Zoom (I Think Therefore I Go Fast)

BSWeichsel

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 01:24:33 AM
Mines my frist intal middle intal and then my name.

Go figure it BS Weichsel.

Since it began, who have you killed? You wouldn't be alive now if you hadn't killed somebody.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 09:22:20 PM
I think you will, with the exception of professional forums or semi-professional (like here if you are an author), see less people using their actual name as a screen name.  In part because so many schools both college and K-12 (or whatever the rest of the world calls that) are pushing kids/college age not to use their own names, so that it doesn't come back to haunt them later when trying to find a job or whatever.  So many like to post images or let friends post images of partying etc.  Not the image to put forth when job hunting.  Though lately I have seen posts about (I think so far private) schools forcing kids to remove their myspace pages or face expulsion.  Supposedly all in the name of protecting the children.  Yes their are predators out there, but quite honestly the ostrich syndrome doesn't work well.  It does nothing to prepare children for when they actually might meet a predator. 

Startrekwiki

Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 10:07:58 PM
I think you will, with the exception of professional forums or semi-professional (like here if you are an author), see less people using their actual name as a screen name.  In part because so many schools both college and K-12 (or whatever the rest of the world calls that) are pushing kids/college age not to use their own names, so that it doesn't come back to haunt them later when trying to find a job or whatever.  So many like to post images or let friends post images of partying etc.  Not the image to put forth when job hunting.  Though lately I have seen posts about (I think so far private) schools forcing kids to remove their myspace pages or face expulsion.  Supposedly all in the name of protecting the children.  Yes their are predators out there, but quite honestly the ostrich syndrome doesn't work well.  It does nothing to prepare children for when they actually might meet a predator. 

Having gone through the ostrich syndrome myself, I have to agree. The internet is not teeming with predators, but you may want to not use your real name anywhere for your reputation. I mean, like Lowky said: if you're out to get a job, you can miss that opportunity by having put your name on a badly reputed site.
Nowadays, it's no different than working as the head of a government during a scandal involving high areas of that government: you can never hope to be re-elected to that position again.

Even if you use your real name on the internet anywhere, someone who wants to ruin you can simply add that name to a less reputable site. Then your employer searches your name on the net, and boom! This comes up.

There's a pretty remote chance of any of that happening.

But, all in all, the net isn't all that bad. It isn't teeming with predators, and usually is pretty safe. What I'm saying is, it's not a good idea to use your real name there. In essence, agreeing to what Lowky said.

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 03:09:45 PM
I've gone by clichekiller for so long now, that's how most people know me.  I respond to CK just as much as my real name now a days.  In the beginning it was the anonymity I enjoyed now it's the recognition.  If you run across another clichekiller out there in the 'intarweb' chances are it's me. 

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 03:33:46 PM
   I've been using Alasdair5000 for a while now, simply because whilst I was one of two Alasdairs growing up on the Isle of Man, there are quite a few Alasdair Stuart's out in the world.  Plus, I always picture some crazed scientist yelling 'ACTIVATE THE ALASDAIR 5000!' every time I type it and that makes me smile.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 04:56:46 PM
This is funny stuff!

"Mr. Tweedy" is the name of bumbling imbecile in the movie "Chicken Run."  I picked it because my (beloved) wife was giving me grief about playing too much "Halo" in the college's game room.  Mr. Tweedy spends the whole movie being kicked and bossed around by his wife, so I named my Halo profile after him as a covert protest, and I've just kept it since then.

It's also noteworthy that Mr. Tweedy is outsmarted by chickens.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:14:07 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 03:12:33 AM
Mine is less funny, sorry - slic is what I have gone by online for many years now.  I'm big into double meanings, so besides the idea "He's slick"  it's also an ever changing acronym sometimes Stephen Lumini (my real name) Interesting Character or SL Insulting Crackhead or Slim Likeable Intriguing Crackpot, etc.

For a very very short time I had a company call SLIC Presentations.  I gave lectures and presentations.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 11:16:26 PM
it's also an ever changing acronym sometimes Stephen Lumini (my real name)

I think Lumini is a really cool surname.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 04:49:24 PM
I think Anarkey is cool.  I like that it has "key" in it, combined with "anarchy," which to me suggests something like "key to chaos" or something moody like that.  Don't know if that's intentional or not.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 05:59:52 PM
Mine was a D&D character that I ended up using as an handle in varios that has pretty much become a second real life (though throughly non-legal) name due to 2600. The first  name is Arca, which I respond to in normal conversation with the half-dozen or so people that know me by that name better than my real one. I've been using since I was... 14 or 15, so I rarely notice it unless I'm with someone that's only known me by my real/legal name.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

sgt.rocks

• Extern
Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 04:58:45 AM
Dumbs as a box of rocks....

When I began teaching about 10 years ago, I would occasionally make mistakes in lectures.  I covered my embarrassment by saying, "I play with rocks."

Some students left rocks on my desk, and so I got the nickname rocks.  As I am enlisted in the service, the nickname is sometimes Sgt Rocks.

Curiously, I met a guy whose last name really is Rocks and he is a sergeant in the service.

I'm using sgt.rocks here because it is my email address and Rocks was all ready in use at hotmail.  In fact, Rocks seems to be in use most places.

sgt.rocks

sgt.rocks

"To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." Elbert Hubbard

darusha

• M. Darusha Wehm
Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 09:47:22 PM
I used to be known as spadequeen online.  I'm female, wear a lot of black and was a compulsive Hearts player.  At some point a few years back I started just using my actual name as a screen name.  It's a good name, and more unusual than any other name I could use. 

Mostly I decided that if I was going to post anything online that I was afraid to sign with my real name, I just shouldn't post it.  This isn't a judgment on anyone else who wants to be anonymous, just a choice I made for myself.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 10:33:10 PM
This is only the third forum I've used "Planish" in, the first one being the librivox.org forum, I think.

planish
tr.v. plan·ished, plan·ish·ing, plan·ish·es
To smooth (metal) by rolling or hammering.
I've been doing a bit of it (the hammering version) lately, viz.
http://northernelectric.ca/medieval/armoury/buckler_stainless/ss_buckler.htm - which shows every step except the planishing, as it turns out, of making a stainless steel buckler.
also
http://northernelectric.ca/medieval/armoury/siobgorg/siobgorg.htm - an articulated gorget in mild steel

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 11:04:37 AM
Now this is a cool topic. :)

I've gone by clichekiller for so long now, that's how most people know me.

As long as you do realise that you can't use that nick for in Final Stage Demon Confrontation. :)

Mostly I decided that if I was going to post anything online that I was afraid to sign with my real name, I just shouldn't post it.  This isn't a judgment on anyone else who wants to be anonymous, just a choice I made for myself.

This is my opinion exactly. I went through a few nick names when I first started interacting on the web. Your nick is important; it is part of your avatar, your online persona, the image you wish to present. I found that a nick was chosen for some reason that was important to me at the time, but eventually would lose its meaning or not be relevant on some other site. I began to feel that it was more important to present my own face with my own name. I want the reputation formed by my words to be clearly linked to me, in all the arenas I choose to act in - blogs, newsgroups, web sites, technical and entertainment.

There are two caveats to my idea of my internet persona representing the 'real' me. The first caveat is that I don't want my personal information to be freely accessible - photos or email address to a lesser extent, phone numbers and physical address to a greater extent. I want control over that. The second caveat involves any adult site I might choose to interact with. I consider that involvement to be limited to my personal life, and not something I am willing to lay open.

My nick? The name of the first person I ever assassinated. I karate chopped the poor guy to death with a rubber chicken (the client had an obscure sense of humour). I stole his identity and have been living in his house ever since, with his partner. Since I had nothing better to do, I took over his job as well.

eytanz

Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 04:18:11 PM
I'm also using my real name. My full name is Eytan Zweig.

By the way, if Steve (or anyone else who wants to say my name out loud) happens to be reading this, my name is pronounced more like "eight-un", rather than "eye-tan". Though whenever Steve quotes my story feedback I'm way too happy about that to care about my name being mispronounced :).